Thursday, 16 November 2017

Two Cents

So it turns out that people I used to look up to are now molesting arseholes? It's been a pretty weird couple of weeks in the public sphere, to see so many big names laid low by their past indiscretions. Makes me wonder how and where I stand in all of this and how it affects me. More importantly, I wonder if I've ever affected it, as it were. I wonder if I've ever made a girl feel uncomfortable or pressured just by something I said, something I didn't really think about it.

I probably have. Back when I first started working at the Corn Exchange, I kinda considered myself to be the victim of sexual harassment, as a certain stage manager made it abundantly clear that she liked to toy with me. Now, many years later after many other circumstances, she and I ended up being together briefly (and that was ill-advised). So did it work? Did she pressure me into being with her? I guess, kind of. It didn't work out in any way that's positive for her, though.

So have I done it? Yes, I think so. When I was young and stupid, I did inappropriately touch a woman who was staying at the pub I worked at. She was much older than me and I'm not sure how she felt about it. She was being quite flirtatious earlier in the evening, so I don't think I was entirely out of my bounds but I do feel that perhaps I crossed a line. I won't say any more than that, really. It was a learning experience, now that I think about it, just not one that I realised at the time.

Complicated world that we live in. Makes you feel pretty bad about being male, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment