Thursday, 1 February 2018

Three Billboards Outside Molly's Darkest Hour

Okay, I'll admit it. I haven't done any blogging for ages. Since before Christmas, it turns out. I guess the whole working at Rios again and then family time in Scotland got in the way of all that. So I'm back, I'm here, I got stories to tell and I'll start with Oscar season. Since it's Oscar season.

Summer means big action movies, the so-called 'blockbusters' and such, but January/February time? That's Oscar season, because the award shows are all gearing up for the big one and the distributors and producers want their films to be fresh in everyone's memory when it comes to golden statuettes time.

So what have I seen? Given my limited budget and time (for some reason that I can't explain), I've managed to go see Molly's Game, Darkest Hour and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (which I only just got back from).

My concise thoughts:

Molly's Game is tightly written, which is exactly what I expected from an Aaron Sorkin film. It tells the true story of Molly Bloom, who ran a high-stakes poker game in LA and then in NY and how it nearly destroyed her entire life. I very, very much enjoyed this film, although I'm not sure that Kevin Costner was right for the part of her dad. It appears that Idris Elba was saving up all the acting that he didn't do in Dark Tower for this one, as he was a great co-star to Jessica Chastain, who utterly captivates you on the screen of this one. Very interesting real life story, I recommend this one.

Darkest Hour. Wow. Jon suggested that as they get older, all great British actors have a go at King Lear or playing Churchill in some capacity. If this is the case, they can now all quit bothering because Gary Oldman has nailed it so utterly thoroughly that there's no need to make another film about Churchill ever again. Part of me just wishes that this, The King's Speech and Dunkirk could have somehow been made in conjunction with one another, Marvel style, so that Oldman and Firth could have done the bedroom meeting together. That would have topped it. A truly excellent portrayal that slightly overshadows the rest of the film.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is, quite frankly, one of the most wrenching films I've watched in a long time. One moment, you're made to feel like crap by what's happened, then you're made to laugh out loud, then you're made to sympathise with the people you thought you were supposed to dislike in this twisting, turning story of... of I don't even know what. This is an excellent, excellent film and I'm still kind of speechless about it, an hour after it finished. Peter Dinklage probably wasn't all that necessary for the whole thing, but it's just nice to hear him using his own accent for a change.

So yeah, probably won't get the chance to see Shape of Water, Hostiles or The Post (Jon went to go see that one without me), but hey ho, only so much time in the week.

And money on the spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment